Saturday, September 6, 2008

Comparing Two Papers

After comparing the layouts for the front page of USA Today and The Santa Cruz Sentinel, I have decided that I prefer USA Today's layout. I compared the two papers from September 5, 2008. The reason I did not care for the Sentinel's front page was because they have one main story that takes up the entire top fold (with the article and the photo) and it takes up half of the bottom fold. Finally after that story it gets in to two other stories, but they were only small sections. I preferred because there were four stores on the top fold. It was a little more cluttered but I prefer to get more information from a paper on the front page. Visually USA Today's paper caught my eye and drew me in to read more.

1 comment:

RlxDoc said...

Have you tried comparing them with the SJ Mercury or the SF Chronicle? My complaint about the Chronicle and the Mercury news were that they were small town newspapers, running wire service articles and focusing on lost dogs. Then I moved to Santa Cruz and read the Sentinel and really learned about small town papers.

I worked on the student newspapers all the way through college. It was a great experience.